- 12.1: Suppose you wish to create a large batch of the protein lactase usi...
- 12.2: A carrier that moves DNA from one cell to another, such as a plasmi...
- 12.3: In making recombinant DNA, what is the benefit of using a restricti...
- 12.4: A paleontologist has recovered a bit of organic material from the 4...
- 12.5: Why do DNA fragments containing STR sites from different people ten...
- 12.6: What feature of a DNA fragment causes it to move through a gel duri...
- 12.7: After a gel electrophoresis procedure is run, the pattern of bars i...
- 12.8: Name the steps of the whole-genome shotgun method.
- 12.9: Put the following steps of human gene therapy in the correct order....
- 12.10: Some scientists once joked that when the DNA sequence of the human ...
- 12.11: Interpreting Data When comparing genomes from different species, bi...
- 12.12: Listed below are 4 of the 13 genome sites used to create a standard...
- 12.13: In the not-too-distant future, gene therapy may be used to treat ma...
- 12.14: Today, it is fairly easy to make transgenic plants and animals. Wha...
- 12.15: In October 2002, the government of the African nation of Zambia ann...
- 12.16: From 1977 to 2000, 12 convicts were executed in Illinois. During th...
Solutions for Chapter 12: DNA Technology
Full solutions for Campbell Essential Biology with Physiology | 4th Edition
The conditions experienced in an area as an air mass passes over it. Because air masses are large and fairly homogenous, airmass weather will be fairly constant and may last for several days.
A circular downfolded structure.
A low-pressure center characterized by a counterclockwise flow of air in the Northern Hemisphere.
A fault in which the movement is parallel to the dip of the fault.
Flows of basaltic lava that issue from numerous cracks or fissures and commonly cover extensive areas to thicknesses of hundreds of meters.
The solid Earth, the largest of Earth’s four major spheres.
Radiation with a wavelength from 0.7 to 200 micrometers.
The change of state from a solid to a liquid.
The marine-life zone that extends from the low tideline out to the shelf break.
A flat area on the floor of an undrained desert basin. Following heavy rain, the playa becomes a lake.
A temporary lake in a playa.
Stars rich in atoms heavier than helium. Nearly always relatively young stars found in the disk of the galaxy.
The spontaneous emission of certain unstable atomic nuclei.
Secondary (S) wave
A seismic wave that involves oscillation perpendicular to the direction of propagation.
Highest tidal range that occurs near the times of the new and full moons.
The columnlike form that grows upward from the floor of a cavern.
A layer of water in which there is a rapid change in temperature in the vertical dimension.
Tropic of Capricorn
The parallel of latitude, 231?2 degrees south latitude, marking the southern limit of the Sun’s verticalrays.
Urban heat island
The fact that temperatures within a city are generally higher than in surrounding rural areas.
Wave of oscillation
A water wave in which the wave form advances as the water particles move in circular orbits.