- 13.1: mating between closely related individuals
- 13.2: bacterial proteins that have the ability to cut both strands of a D...
- 13.3: a small ring of DNA found in a bacterial cell
- 13.4: a vehicle for carrying DNA fragments into a host cell
- 13.5: the insertion of normal genes into human cells to correct genetic d...
- 13.6: Polymerase chain reaction is used to ________. A. cleave DNA C. cop...
- 13.7: What is the purpose of a test cross? A. produce offspring that cons...
- 13.8: The goal of gene therapy is to insert a ________ into cells to corr...
- 13.9: Restriction enzyme EcoRI cuts DNA strands, leaving ________ ends. A...
- 13.10: ________ usually increases the appearance of genetic disorders. A. ...
- 13.11: Cells in a cell culture all have the same genetic material because ...
- 13.12: Open Ended What is the potential use of a map showing the sequence ...
- 13.13: Open Ended Assume that transgenic organisms can be developed to spe...
- 13.14: Open Ended How might transgenic organisms alter the course of evolu...
- 13.15: Interpret Scientific Illustrations A gel electrophoresis was run on...
- 13.16: Through biotechnology, genetically modified food crops that are pes...
- 13.17: A test cross was made between two Alaskan malamutes, a dominant phe...
- 13.18: What is the proper sequence of steps for cloning recombinant DNA us...
- 13.19: Which restriction enzyme could be used to cut the following DNA str...
- 13.20: Open Ended Why was the discovery of restriction enzymes important t...
- 13.21: Open Ended A wildlife officer found deer blood in the forest after ...
Solutions for Chapter 13: Genetic Technology
Full solutions for Biology: The Dynamics of Life | 1st Edition
Annual mean temperature
An average of the 12 monthly temperature means.
The smallest particle that exists as an element.
An instrument that measures atmospheric pressure.
Bowen’s reaction series
A concept proposed by N. L. Bowen that illustrates the relationships between magma and the minerals crystallizing from it during the formation of igneous rocks.
A wide gap in the ring system of Saturn between the A ring and the B ring.
A rather small volcano built primarily of pyroclastics ejected from a single vent.
A pass between mountain valleys where the headwalls of two cirques intersect.
Igneous activity that occurs outside the crust.
Dark, thin streaks that appear across the bright solar disk.
A luminous star of large radius.
A sudden flash of light generated by the flow of electrons between oppositely charged parts of a cumulonimbus cloud or between the cloud and the ground.
The process of generating more than one rock type from a single magma.
The proposed supercontinent that 200 million years ago began to break apart and form the present landmasses.
Those pollutants emitted directly from identifiable sources.
An end moraine formed as the ice front stagnated during glacial retreat.
A fault in which the material above the fault plane moves up in relation to the material below.
The steep, leeward slope of a sand dune; it maintains an angle of about 34 degrees.
The movement of water in an erratic fashion, often characterized by swirling, whirlpool-like eddies. Most streamflow is of this type.
The upper level of the saturated zone of groundwater.