- 1.1: All the organisms on your campus make up a. an ecosystem. b. a comm...
- 1.2: Which of the following is a correct sequence of levels in lifes hie...
- 1.3: Which of the following is not an observation or inference on which ...
- 1.4: Systems biology is mainly an attempt to a. analyze genomes from dif...
- 1.5: Protists and bacteria are grouped into different domains because a....
- 1.6: Which of the following best demonstrates the unity among all organi...
- 1.7: A controlled experiment is one that a. proceeds slowly enough that ...
- 1.8: Which of the following statements best distinguishes hypotheses fro...
- 1.9: Which of the following is an example of qualitative data? a. The fi...
- 1.10: Which of the following best describes the logic of scientific inqui...
- 1.11: D raw IT With rough sketches, draw a biological hierarchy similar t...
- 1.12: EVOLUTION CONNECTION A typical prokaryotic cell has about 3,000 gen...
- 1.13: SCIENTIFIC INQUIRY Based on the results of the mouse coloration cas...
- 1.14: WRITE ABOUT A THEME: EVOLUTION In a short essay (100150 words), dis...
- 1.15: Can you pick out the mossy leaf-tailed gecko lying against the tree...
Solutions for Chapter 1: Evolution, the Themes of Biology, and Scientific Inquiry
Full solutions for Campbell Biology | 10th Edition
Solutions for Chapter 1: Evolution, the Themes of Biology, and Scientific InquiryGet Full Solutions
See Intermediate composition.
An instrument for measuring air pressure that consists of evacuated metal chambers very sensitive to variations in air pressure.
A sequence of numbers that approximates the mean distances of the planets from the Sun.
A substance formed by the chemical combination of two or more elements in definite proportions and usually having properties different from those of its constituent elements.
An accumulation of sediment formed where a stream enters a lake or ocean.
See Glacial drift.
A vent in a volcanic area from which fumes or gases escape.
See Terrestrial planets.
Tunnel in hardened lava that acts as a horizontal conduit for lava flowing from a volcanic vent. Lava tubes allow fluid lavas to advance great distances.
The total amount of energy released during an earthquake.
A mercury-filled glass tube in which the height of the mercury column is a measure of air pressure.
A measure of a material’s ability to transmit water.
Passively drifting or weakly swimming organisms that cannot move independently of ocean currents. Includes microscopic algae, protozoa, jellyfish, and larval forms of many animals.
A positively charged subatomic particle found in the nucleus of an atom.
The force exerted by electromagnetic radiation from an object such as the Sun.
A relatively dense dust cloud in interstellar space that is illuminated by starlight.
The steep, leeward slope of a sand dune; it maintains an angle of about 34 degrees.
One of the three main categories of meteorites. This group, as the name implies, is a mixture of iron and silicate minerals.
The release of water vapor to the atmosphere by plants.
Radiation with a wavelength from 0.2 to 0.4 micrometer.