×
Log in to StudySoup
Get Full Access to Openintro Statistics - 3 Edition - Chapter 3 - Problem 3.34
Join StudySoup for FREE
Get Full Access to Openintro Statistics - 3 Edition - Chapter 3 - Problem 3.34

Already have an account? Login here
×
Reset your password

Sickle cell anemia is a genetic blood disorder where red

OpenIntro Statistics | 3rd Edition | ISBN: 9781943450039 | Authors: David M Diez; Christopher D Barr; Mine Çetinkaya-Rundel ISBN: 9781943450039 86

Solution for problem 3.34 Chapter 3

OpenIntro Statistics | 3rd Edition

  • Textbook Solutions
  • 2901 Step-by-step solutions solved by professors and subject experts
  • Get 24/7 help from StudySoup virtual teaching assistants
OpenIntro Statistics | 3rd Edition | ISBN: 9781943450039 | Authors: David M Diez; Christopher D Barr; Mine Çetinkaya-Rundel

OpenIntro Statistics | 3rd Edition

4 5 1 288 Reviews
27
0
Problem 3.34

Sickle cell anemia is a genetic blood disorder where red blood cells lose their flexibility and assume an abnormal, rigid, sickle shape, which results in a risk of various complications. If both parents are carriers of the disease, then a child has a 25% chance of having the disease, 50% chance of being a carrier, and 25% chance of neither having the disease nor being a carrier. If two parents who are carriers of the disease have 3 children, what is the probability that (a) two will have the disease? (b) none will have the disease? (c) at least one will neither have the disease nor be a carrier? (d) the first child with the disease will the be 3rd child?

Step-by-Step Solution:

Q: Sickle cell anemia is a genetic blood disorder where red blood cells lose their flexibilityand assume an abnormal, rigid, sickle shape, which results in a risk of variouscomplications. If both parents are carriers of the disease, then a child has a 25% chance ofhaving the disease, 50% chance of being a carrier, and 25% chance of neither having thedisease nor being a carrier. If two parents who are carriers of the disease have 3 children,what is the probability that (a) two will have the disease (b) none will have the disease (c)at least one will neither have the disease nor be a carrier (d) the first child with the diseasewill be the 3rd child Step By Step SolutionStep 1 of 5:P(having sickle cell anemia)=P(D)=0.25P(being a carrier)=P(C)=0.5P(not having disease nor carrier)=P(N)=0.25

Step 2 of 5

Chapter 3, Problem 3.34 is Solved
Step 3 of 5

Textbook: OpenIntro Statistics
Edition: 3
Author: David M Diez; Christopher D Barr; Mine Çetinkaya-Rundel
ISBN: 9781943450039

Other solutions

People also purchased

Related chapters

Unlock Textbook Solution

Enter your email below to unlock your verified solution to:

Sickle cell anemia is a genetic blood disorder where red