- 2.1: Consider the graph of the parabola (a) Find the radius of the large...
- 2.2: Graph the two parabolas and in the same coordinate plane. Find equa...
- 2.3: (a) Find the polynomial whose value and slope agree with the value ...
- 2.4: (a) Find an equation of the tangent line to the parabola at the poi...
- 2.5: Find a third degree polynomial the point and tangent to the line at...
- 2.6: Find a function of the form that is tangent to the line at the poin...
- 2.7: The graph of the eight curve,is shown below.(a) Explain how you cou...
- 2.8: The graph of the pear-shaped quartic,is shown below.(a) Explain how...
- 2.9: A man 6 feet tall walks at a rate of 5 feet per second toward a str...
- 2.10: A particle is moving along the graph of (see figure). When the comp...
- 2.11: Let be a differentiable function for all Prove that if for all and ...
- 2.12: Let be a function satisfying Prove that if for all and then is diff...
- 2.13: The fundamental limit assumes that is measured in radians. What hap...
- 2.14: An astronaut standing on the moon throws a rock into the air. The h...
- 2.15: If is the acceleration of an object, the jerk is defined by(a) Use ...
Solutions for Chapter 2: Calculus of a Single Variable 8th Edition
Full solutions for Calculus of a Single Variable | 8th Edition
A value ƒ(c) is an absolute minimum value of ƒ if ƒ(c) ? ƒ(x)for all x in the domain of ƒ.
A theorem that gives an expansion formula for (a + b)n
Coefficient of determination
The number r2 or R2 that measures how well a regression curve fits the data
The set of all points in the plane such that the sum of the distances from a pair of fixed points (the foci) is a constant
A variable that affects a response variable.
See Ellipse, Hyperbola, Parabola.
A shift of a graph to the left or right.
A function whose domain is the set of all natural numbers.
Linear inequality in x
An inequality that can be written in the form ax + b < 0 ,ax + b … 0 , ax + b > 0, or ax + b Ú 0, where a and b are real numbers and a Z 0
Lower bound test for real zeros
A test for finding a lower bound for the real zeros of a polynomial
Multiplicative inverse of a matrix
See Inverse of a matrix
Parallelogram representation of vector addition
Geometric representation of vector addition using the parallelogram determined by the position vectors.
Power rule of logarithms
logb Rc = c logb R, R 7 0.
Probability of an event in a finite sample space of equally likely outcomes
The number of outcomes in the event divided by the number of outcomes in the sample space.
Behavior that is determined only by the laws of probability.
A transformation that leaves the basic shape of a graph unchanged.
The initial digit or digits of a number in a stemplot.
Sum of a finite geometric series
Sn = a111 - r n 2 1 - r
A point that lies on both the graph and the y-axis.
See n factorial.