- 12-2.1: Use the Tukey test to test all possible pairwise comparisons.
- 12-2.2: Are there any contradictions in the results?
- 12-2.3: Explain why separate t tests are not accepted in this situation
- 12-2.4: When would Tukeys test be preferred over the Scheff method? Explain.
- 12-2.1: What two tests can be used to compare two means when the null hypot...
- 12-2.2: Explain the difference between the two tests used to compare two me...
- 12-2.3: For Exercises 3 through 9, the null hypothesis was rejected. Use th...
- 12-2.4: For Exercises 3 through 9, the null hypothesis was rejected. Use th...
- 12-2.5: For Exercises 3 through 9, the null hypothesis was rejected. Use th...
- 12-2.6: For Exercises 3 through 9, the null hypothesis was rejected. Use th...
- 12-2.7: For Exercises 3 through 9, the null hypothesis was rejected. Use th...
- 12-2.8: For Exercises 3 through 9, the null hypothesis was rejected. Use th...
- 12-2.9: For Exercises 3 through 9, the null hypothesis was rejected. Use th...
- 12-2.10: For Exercises 10 through 13, do a complete one-way ANOVA. If the nu...
- 12-2.11: For Exercises 10 through 13, do a complete one-way ANOVA. If the nu...
- 12-2.12: For Exercises 10 through 13, do a complete one-way ANOVA. If the nu...
- 12-2.13: For Exercises 10 through 13, do a complete one-way ANOVA. If the nu...
Solutions for Chapter 12-2: Analysis of Variance
Full solutions for Elementary Statistics: A Step by Step Approach | 7th Edition
`-error (or `-risk)
In hypothesis testing, an error incurred by rejecting a null hypothesis when it is actually true (also called a type I error).
Analysis of variance (ANOVA)
A method of decomposing the total variability in a set of observations, as measured by the sum of the squares of these observations from their average, into component sums of squares that are associated with speciic deined sources of variation
An estimator for a parameter obtained from a Bayesian method that uses a prior distribution for the parameter along with the conditional distribution of the data given the parameter to obtain the posterior distribution of the parameter. The estimator is obtained from the posterior distribution.
An equation for a conditional probability such as PA B ( | ) in terms of the reverse conditional probability PB A ( | ).
A distribution with two modes
Binomial random variable
A discrete random variable that equals the number of successes in a ixed number of Bernoulli trials.
Coeficient of determination
See R 2 .
Components of variance
The individual components of the total variance that are attributable to speciic sources. This usually refers to the individual variance components arising from a random or mixed model analysis of variance.
When a factorial experiment is run in blocks and the blocks are too small to contain a complete replicate of the experiment, one can run a fraction of the replicate in each block, but this results in losing information on some effects. These effects are linked with or confounded with the blocks. In general, when two factors are varied such that their individual effects cannot be determined separately, their effects are said to be confounded.
The probability 1?a associated with a conidence interval expressing the probability that the stated interval will contain the true parameter value.
See Control chart.
A method to derive the probability density function of the sum of two independent random variables from an integral (or sum) of probability density (or mass) functions.
Formulas used to determine the number of elements in sample spaces and events.
Used in statistical quality control, a defect is a particular type of nonconformance to speciications or requirements. Sometimes defects are classiied into types, such as appearance defects and functional defects.
A subset of effects in a fractional factorial design that deine the aliases in the design.
W. Edwards Deming (1900–1993) was a leader in the use of statistical quality control.
Error mean square
The error sum of squares divided by its number of degrees of freedom.
A series of tests in which changes are made to the system under study
Effects in a fractional factorial experiment that are used to construct the experimental tests used in the experiment. The generators also deine the aliases.