- Chapter 1: Probability
- Chapter 10: One- and Two-Sample Tests of Hypotheses
- Chapter 11: Simple Linear Regression and Correlation
- Chapter 12: Multiple Linear Regression and Certain Nonlinear Regression Models
- Chapter 13: One-Factor Experiments: General
- Chapter 14: Factorial Experiments (Two or More Factors)
- Chapter 15: 2k Factorial Experiments and Fractions
- Chapter 16: Nonparametric Statistics
- Chapter 17: Statistical Quality Control
- Chapter 18: Bayesian Statistics
- Chapter 2: Random Variables and Probability Distributions
- Chapter 3: Mathematical Expectation
- Chapter 4: Some Discrete Probability Distributions
- Chapter 5: Functions of Random Variables
- Chapter 6: Some Continuous Probability Distributions
- Chapter 7: Fundamental Sampling Distributions and Data Descriptions
- Chapter 8: One- and Two-Sample Estimation Problems
- Chapter 9: Introduction to Statistics and Data Analysis
Probability and Statistics for Engineers and the Scientists 9th Edition - Solutions by Chapter
Full solutions for Probability and Statistics for Engineers and the Scientists | 9th Edition
Probability and Statistics for Engineers and the Scientists | 9th Edition - Solutions by ChapterGet Full Solutions
In statistical hypothesis testing, this is a hypothesis other than the one that is being tested. The alternative hypothesis contains feasible conditions, whereas the null hypothesis speciies conditions that are under test
Binomial random variable
A discrete random variable that equals the number of successes in a ixed number of Bernoulli trials.
Data consisting of counts or observations that can be classiied into categories. The categories may be descriptive.
A chart used to organize the various potential causes of a problem. Also called a ishbone diagram.
Central limit theorem
The simplest form of the central limit theorem states that the sum of n independently distributed random variables will tend to be normally distributed as n becomes large. It is a necessary and suficient condition that none of the variances of the individual random variables are large in comparison to their sum. There are more general forms of the central theorem that allow ininite variances and correlated random variables, and there is a multivariate version of the theorem.
Coeficient of determination
See R 2 .
A subset selected without replacement from a set used to determine the number of outcomes in events and sample spaces.
An experiment in which the treatments (experimental conditions) that are to be studied are included in the experiment. The data from the experiment are used to evaluate the treatments.
Components of variance
The individual components of the total variance that are attributable to speciic sources. This usually refers to the individual variance components arising from a random or mixed model analysis of variance.
The variance of the conditional probability distribution of a random variable.
A linear function of treatment means with coeficients that total zero. A contrast is a summary of treatment means that is of interest in an experiment.
See Control chart.
In the most general usage, a measure of the interdependence among data. The concept may include more than two variables. The term is most commonly used in a narrow sense to express the relationship between quantitative variables or ranks.
Degrees of freedom.
The number of independent comparisons that can be made among the elements of a sample. The term is analogous to the number of degrees of freedom for an object in a dynamic system, which is the number of independent coordinates required to determine the motion of the object.
Deming’s 14 points.
A management philosophy promoted by W. Edwards Deming that emphasizes the importance of change and quality
Another name for a probability density function
A subset of a sample space.
Fraction defective control chart
See P chart
A function that is used to determine properties of the probability distribution of a random variable. See Moment-generating function
Effects in a fractional factorial experiment that are used to construct the experimental tests used in the experiment. The generators also deine the aliases.